Wednesday 28 November 2012

iThemba Lethu



Today I went to iThemba Lethu in Durban and met with their Social Worker – a lovely kind lady by the name of Brenda. I originally heard about them from my friend Nikki who adopted her baby girl Zoey from there.

Some time ago I wrote to them and asked them if I could come and visit and at the same time I attached my screening report from Stanger so that they knew that this is the path we are on.  I did this after phoning one day and asking if I would visit and they said no, sorry, I would have to make an appointment. 

They wrote back saying that they would forward my request on to Brenda and “you will unfortunately be unable to volunteer.  This is as part of the child care act regulations, which Brenda will be able to explain to you in more details.”

Brenda did get back to me very quickly with two possibly dates for a meeting and so this morning was our time together.  She had already gone through my screening report from Stanger and was quick to point out that she was “surprised” by the contents of the report and that should I wish to adopt through iThemba Lethu the screening would most certainly need to be redone. 

Brenda is one of those ladies who does not seem to be capable of a single mean thought never mind a mean word - so while she said nothing critical about the screening process we have undergone thus far she made it clear that they would have to start again with their program.

She explained that at Ithemba Lethu they do not charge for the screening process but that most people will work through it from start to finish with them and not do what we have done, which means that if I got a call from Stanger next week I would say thanks for everything you have done by I am out of here!  We are all on the same side and while all they want is for babies to go to happy homes and be taken care - someone still pays their salaries and it puts pressure on the NPO’s resources. Having her screen us and then possibly not being able to place once of their babies with us will put stress on their system and their funding and possibly cause a delay in placing one of their babies.  It sounds complicated because it is. Anyway she gave me all the forms and we agreed to chat it over soon once she has spoken with her team and I have spoken to Rog.

I almost wish that we had started here with them. Although they came across as very strict in the beginning and I did not understand why, I have now began to think that they have what looks like a extremely well run system which seems to be a smooth transition between the many difference phases of this journey. There does not seem to be a breakdown between the social workers and the caregivers and it seems like there are good communications with prospective parents.

I originally thought that I had to get screened through my local child welfare deportment before going anywhere else and this is a mistake. If you work through a private NPO that does their own screening - there is no need for that.  You learn something new everyday!

Click here for more on iThemba Lethu.

Check out their 2012 Snap Shot (January to June).



No comments:

Post a Comment