Wednesday 30 January 2013

New School



Tom started school 2 weeks ago and seems so be in a wonderful routine.  He was so brave on his first day and I could not believe how well he did, no fuss no tears it was amazing!  The second day there was a little bit of a lip quiver and by the 3rd day he woke up genuinely sick and did not go to school. We spent that weekend lying low and he was back to school on Monday but not without a rather admirable attempt to convince me that he had relapsed since Sunday afternoon and was in fact in a very bad way. Anyway I packed him up and took him to school and he started crying as we got out the car, I had to leave a sobbing child at school and I felt terrible. The next day did not go much better - this time he added in an extra “frozen to the ground” effect where I actually had to push him forward through the door and close it behind him. I felt soooo mean!  I went there and then to buy him a present to “bribe” him with for the next day and we spoke about no crying day in detail when he got home. I explained that he would get a surprise when he got home if there were no tears about going to school and it worked like a charm.  

The next day there were no tears and he reminded me more than once on the way home that he had been so good and that he did not cry “ even when I could not see him”. He was delighted with his Spider man lucky packet and I was delighted with my bargain lack of tears purchase.  He has been fine ever since and this week he even let Rog take him to school, which has made a massive change to my hectic morning schedule!   He loves his school and has started remembering some of the children’s names this week.  He is not able to tell me much about his day but always announces proudly that he ate all his lunch and that he had so much of fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment