Saturday 1 February 2014

The Holidays


This Christmas was our second Christmas with the boys and it was very different. They knew exactly what to expect and they where beyond excited. We counted down the days right from the 1st December and the last few days seemed almost unbearable for them – it brought back a lot of memories for me and felt like our first real Christmas together – the last one so much happened all in one go that I could not really prepare for it nor take it all in so this one was better.

We had a holiday in our hometown and stayed close to home for the whole holidays except for a two-night adventure to Lake Jozini north of us.  We are blessed enough to have the use of a family cottage on the beach just around the corner from us where Rog spent his youth.  The boys created some memories of their own this December and our days where filled with wake up at your leisure, have breakfast, put on baggies and head for the cottage where you either lived in the pool or on the beach and you ate when you were hungry and slept when you were tired – a holiday indeed!

We fetched cousin Jake on breakup day and there he was waiting for us at his school with bags packed and fishing rod on his shoulder. Thomas especially misses Jake a lot – he spends so much time being an awesome big brother to Max that I love having Jake around and seeing the change in Tom – he gets to be a “little brother” and he relishes this time.

Our bunk beds arrived just in time for school holidays and now we can comfortably sleep 4 in their room. It has always been my dream to have a house full of kids and I found myself sitting in the room and starring at the beds for ages when they first arrived – they gave me such a thrill! The boys love their room so much and so that was the end of Max sleeping in his cot and the beginning of another big step away from babyness – boo hoo!  A bittersweet moment indeed.  How is a mother supposed to cope with underpants and big boy bed all in one month – nooooooo bring back the nappies and cot!

Our trip to Jozini was fab except for the moment on the boat where things started to float on the deck and Rog pointed to water sprouting through the floor like a fountain and then tried to tell me that this boat was unsinkable … (but could I just take the wheel and go full taps to keep the nose up while he pulled the plug from the back to drain it.) Sure thing Luvvy I will keep just stay calm while we speed through crocodile and hippo infested waters with our children and you remove the plug from the boat???? Yes well clearly we lived to tell the tale but it was a close call in my booksJ - Rog will tell you a different story.

Back to school was perfect and we did not have even one tear – I would be fibbing if I told you that I did not do a little victory dance with myself as they drove off with Rog on the first day of school!  As much as I love my boys – alone time is also a very beautiful thing ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment